[one-users] OpenNebula & Chef / Knife / Ruby API

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Wed May 23 02:06:52 PDT 2012

Hello Yves,

is there any documentation / interface specification for the OpenNebula
> Ruby OCA? I could not find anything in the PDF documentation - except a 2-3
> pages example.

Yes:
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:ruby
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:api
http://opennebula.org/doc/3.4/oca/ruby/

> Why I'm asking...
>
> We've successfully setup an OpenNebula based infrastructure and are
> planning to provision our VMs through Opscode Chef.
> For this purpose we've currently setup a Chef Server and are doing the
> following steps manually:
>
> 1. Instantiate and deploy a certain set of virtual machines
> 2. Bootstrap the deployed VMs through "knife"
>
> At the moment we evaluate either to write a "Knife" plugin (like the one
> for EC2) which connects to one of the OpenNebula APIs to automate the
> creation of virtual machines before provisioning.
>
> Is someone doing any similar and likes to share his best practices?

Let me point you to a few contributed resource that may come in handy:
http://opennebula.org/software:ecosystem:chef_recipes
http://community.opscode.com/cookbooks/opennebula

Cheers,
Jaime