[one-users] OpenNebula and DeltaCloud

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Wed May 16 03:30:48 PDT 2012

Hi Dario,

On 14 May 2012 12:57, Dario Garcia Gasulla <dariog at lsi.upc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a project which must be able to create, start and stop
> instances in some of the most common IaaS providers out there (EC2,
> Rackspace, ...).
> The initial idea was to work with OpenNebula as integrating platform,
> and to use DeltaCloud for facilitating the interaction with the various
> providers. Currently, I'm looking at the documentation to integrate
> both, and it's kind of confusing.
>
> On one side there is the DeltaCloud adaptor:
> http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/deltacloud-adaptor/wiki
> which, if I'm not mistaken, offers support only for OpenNebula 1.4. In
> such adaptor OpenNebula uses DeltaCloud as a host, which is added to its
> list of hosts. I cannot find any further documentation beyond that
> point, but it seems quite deprecated to me.
>
> On the other side there is a wiki page:
> http://wiki.opennebula.org/deltacloud
> explaining how to interact OpenNebula 3.x with DeltaCloud. Such tutorial
> does not use the adaptor, and instead explains how to define OpenNebula
> as an interface of DeltaCloud. I guess this means DeltaCloud is used to
> control OpenNebula, which feels weird from my understanding of each
> software's capabilities.
>
> I'm not quite sure of the differences between both approaches, what are
> their capabilities and how each of them works in detail (documentation
> is quite short). I assume the second solution is the recommended one,
> since it has recent support, but I still don't understand its
> interaction protocol.

Deltacloud abstracts differences between clouds, so you can run basic
actions on your virtual machines using the same client. Therefore, if
you use Deltacloud to interact with OpenNebula (the second option you
wrote),  your users will be able to start, stop instances, but you
won't be able to manage your physical infrastructure nor advanced
control on your virtual resources.

On the other hand , you can use the Deltacloud adaptor in a Hybrid
Cloud deployment with OpenNebula, combining your local resources with
resources from external cloud providers (the first option you wrote).
You can see and example of this scenario using the EC2 driver that is
included in the OpenNebula distribution in the following link [1]

As you pointed out this driver was developed to work with OpenNebula
1.4. But it would be easy to adapt it to the last OpenNebula version.
There is a guide in the wiki that shows how to develop new hybrid
cloud drivers [2]

Hope this helps

P.S. Please use the ecosystem list [3] for this kind of discussions

[1] http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:introh
[2] http://wiki.opennebula.org/cloud_provider_driver

> Thanks in advance,
> Dario.