[one-users] OpenNebula and DeltaCloud

Dario Garcia Gasulla dariog at lsi.upc.edu
Mon May 14 03:57:59 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm developing a project which must be able to create, start and stop
instances in some of the most common IaaS providers out there (EC2,
Rackspace, ...).
The initial idea was to work with OpenNebula as integrating platform,
and to use DeltaCloud for facilitating the interaction with the various
providers. Currently, I'm looking at the documentation to integrate
both, and it's kind of confusing.

On one side there is the DeltaCloud adaptor:
http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/deltacloud-adaptor/wiki
which, if I'm not mistaken, offers support only for OpenNebula 1.4. In
such adaptor OpenNebula uses DeltaCloud as a host, which is added to its
list of hosts. I cannot find any further documentation beyond that
point, but it seems quite deprecated to me.

On the other side there is a wiki page:
http://wiki.opennebula.org/deltacloud
explaining how to interact OpenNebula 3.x with DeltaCloud. Such tutorial
does not use the adaptor, and instead explains how to define OpenNebula
as an interface of DeltaCloud. I guess this means DeltaCloud is used to
control OpenNebula, which feels weird from my understanding of each
software's capabilities.

I'm not quite sure of the differences between both approaches, what are
their capabilities and how each of them works in detail (documentation
is quite short). I assume the second solution is the recommended one,
since it has recent support, but I still don't understand its
interaction protocol.

Thanks in advance,
Dario.