[one-users] DISK: BLOCK type

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Mon May 14 07:39:59 PDT 2012

Hi Danny,

This is a limitation indeed, in 3.4 the TYPE part is overwritten so
the there is no way to introduce BLOCK. This has been already fixed in
master and it is ready for the next release of OpenNebula. There will
be a development release in a few days in case you are interested.

In the meantime, type=file is used for LVM and iSCSI. VMs work with
this parameter (our tests for iSCSI are green and that's the reason we
did not realize this before releasing 3.4), but probably there will be
some performance improvements with type=block.

Cheers

Ruben

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Danny Sternkopf <danny.sternkopf at csc.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how one can request that a disk gets the type BLOCK assigned. I
> always end up with DISK which finally results in 'file' type in the
> deployment file.
>
> I would like to see in my deployment file something like this:
>   <disk type='block' device='disk'>
>      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none'/>
>      <source dev='/var/lib/one/123/disk.0'/>
>      <target dev='vdb' bus='virtio'/>
>   </disk>
>
> Due to disk.0 is a symlink to a LVM LV partition.
>
> I define in my VM template the following:
> DISK = [
>     IMAGE_ID = "66",
>     TYPE = "BLOCK"
> ]
>
> But that somehow will be ignored. How can I trigger ONE to generate above
> configuration?
>
> Or for what is the BLOCK type then implemented in ONE? LVM snapshots where
> you define SOURCE=/dev/...?
>
> Thanks and Best regards,
>
> Danny

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect
OpenNebula - The Open Source Solution for Data Center Virtualization