[one-users] Open Nebula 3.4.1 on Ubuntu 12.04

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Wed May 9 07:49:41 PDT 2012

Hello Daniel,

it will probably take some time for the Ubuntu's community package to
update to 3.4. As you very well pointed out, the community packages and the
packages provided by opennebula.org aren't the same, meaning that you can't
move from one to the other freely.

We didn't create packages for Ubuntu 12.04 when we released OpenNebula 3.4
because 12.04 wasn't yet released. However, we will release packages for
ubuntu 12.04 for OpenNebula's next release (due in less than 3 months).

Answering your question I believe you have two options:
1 - Install from source. It isn't difficult at all, and the process is
documented [1]. It brings many advantages, such as immediate upgrades and
since it's in a git repo you can comfortably apply patches, and track the
changes you make to your OpenNebula files (many drivers are meant to be
slightly modified in order to adapt them to any datastore).
2 - Download the source deb from [2]. Recompile it for Ubuntu 12.04 and
install it. Another fellow OpenNebula user created this guide [3] on
upgrading the ubuntu package for Ubuntu 11.04 you might want to follow it.

[1] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:compile
[2] http://dev.opennebula.org/packages/opennebula-3.4.1/Ubuntu-10.04/
[3] http://wiki.opennebula.org/start?&#installation

cheers,
Jaime

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Daniel Colchete
<daniel.colchete at mav.com.br>wrote:

> Good day everyone!
>
> First of all, thank you very much for that great software. I have it
> running here on my company, already have all the images and templates and
> I'm using it (only myself) successfully. I'm using version 3.2.1 that came
> with Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> I want to give all my employees access to Open Nebula, but no sane 20+
> people company does that without LDAP authentication anymore. Sunstone 3.4
> supports LDAP authentication but not Sunstone 3.2.
>
> Considering that I installed OpenNebula using the packages from the Ubuntu
> repositories, how should I upgrade to 3.4? I read the upgrade documentation
> already, I'm fine with it (onedb, changes in config, etc). My question is
> more about the packages themselves.
>
> First, there is no package for Ubuntu 12.04 to download. Can I use 10.04?
>
> Second, from what I saw, packages for Ubuntu from the website and from the
> repositories are completely different. So, how should I proceed? Do I need
> to uninstall/remove everything but the images and start over with the
> packages from the website? Is there any other route here?
>
> Does the Ubuntu 10.04 OpenNebula 3.4 package include the sunstone server?
>
> I googled arround but couldn't find the answer for those questions. Thank
> you a lot.
>
> Best,
> Daniel Colchete

Jaime Melis