[one-users] Avoiding manual restart of (peristent) VMs in case of host reboot

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Fri May 18 12:37:29 PDT 2012

Hi.

I'd like to make sure that (kvm) VMs running on hosts get restarted whenever
hosts are rebooted.

Is there such a setting somewhere ?

If I understand correctly, VMs with "persistent" images (on a shared
file system) won't suffer too much of a host restart in principle : the
disk image is kept intact, normally (although I'm not sure how too fast
the shutting down of kvm VMs is performed for running services inside
the VMs : no proper close of files, cache dumps, etc.)

But when the host is restarted, the VMs stay in unknown state and I have
to restart them manually.

Would there be a chance this can be done automatically, or better, they
are suspended upon shutdown of the host and resumed when it restarts ?

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't spot the response, and I plee
guilty in advance of not having all read the (very prolific and) very
good documentation.

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm running 3.2.1 from Debian wheezy
--
Olivier BERGER
Ingenieur Recherche - Dept INF