[one-users] Fault Tolerance

Yount, William D Yount.William at menloworldwide.com
Thu May 17 02:02:54 PDT 2012

We have been working on implementing a cloud at work. What we want is basically a fault tolerant hypervisor cluster. I tried CloudStack, however it offered only HA but not fault tolerance. If a node goes out, then a human has to migrate the VM over to a new node.

1)      One feature that has caught my eye with OpenNebula is that it claims to offer fault tolerance. When I hear fault tolerance, I envision that if the node a VM is running on goes out, that the management software will migrate the VM over to another node and start it back up. Without this feature, a simple hypervisor cluster meets our need.

2)      Does OpenNebula provide for automatic failover of the management server? In CloudStack, there was no built in replication of the management server. If your management server went down you had to start up another one. I had to create two management servers and then use MySQL replication, KeepAlived and some other tools to get automatic failover.

I am just looking for as much redundancy as I can get. With the management/storage/node model, I would like to have as much redundancy as possible.

Thanks,
William Yount