[one-users] perform "actions" on host just before Live Migration start??

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Wed May 16 02:46:19 PDT 2012

Hello,

OpenNebula can't have control overt the internal live-migration process of
the hypervisors. The iscsi actions should be perfectly synchronized with
the live migration, otherwise an I/O error is likely to occur. That's the
reason why this isn't out of the box supported with OpenNebula.

I believe the correct way to approach this is through hypervisor hooks:
http://libvirt.org/hooks.html#qemu_migration

cheers,
Jaime

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM, fc lists <fclists at pr-z.info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to hook up  a NexentaStor ISCSI server with opennebula 3.4.1
>
> I created a DS_MAD and TM_MAD out of the current "iscsi" ones and i got
> everything working fine ... other then live migration.
>
> Things goes like this:
>
> Create New Virtual Machine
>
> oneadmin ssh to HOST1
>  - login into ISCSI
>  - LN the system datastore (NFS Shared) disk to the ISCSI device
>
> live migrate from HOST1 to HOST2
>
> At this point HOST 2 has no knowledge of ISCSI device ... because the FE
> never performed ISCSI login on host2.
>
> "at first" i thought that the "MV" TM_MAD would be called for
> live-migration the same way it get executed for cold migration, but it does
> not seem so on my system.
> Cold migration works just fine because it actively login the ISCSI target
> in the HOST2 , with live-migration it seems like ONE does not really
> interact with the cluster other then performing the libvirt/kvm live
> migration.
>
> As a proof of concept it was enough to manually login the ISCSI target on
> HOST2 and live-migration worked perfectly.
>
> Is there any hook that i can use to manage this operation ? Ideally it
> would be enough to get the Image SOURCE available to get it to work.
>
> Thanks
> -FC

Jaime Melis
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org