[one-users] Error when instantiating VM from persistent image

Jhon Masschelein Jhon.Masschelein at Sara.Nl
Wed Mar 28 23:33:45 PDT 2012

Hi,

it looks like this is the problem:
> Wed Mar 28 10:50:00 2012 [VMM][I]: error: internal error process
> exited while connecting to monitor: qemu-kvm: -drive
> file=/var/lib/one//25/images/disk.2,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0,format=raw:
> could not open disk image /var/lib/one//25/images/disk.2: Permission
> denied

At this point it would appear that oneadmin has access to the disk image
file /var/lib/one//25/images/disk.2, but qemu does not. The error is
coming from qemu.

As far as I know, the difference between a persistent image and a non
persistent image is that, when it is not persistent, the image get
copied by oneadmin and new permissions are set on the new file, but when
you are using a persistent image, a symbolic link is created.

With symbolic links, the permissions of the link are not important, the
permissions on the original file are used.

So, when you look at the file that is listed as the "SOURCE" of your
image. (Should be something like
/var/lib/one/images/c0dc71ebe6562d4e8c9e186b249bff13,
what are the permissions and is qemu (on the execution node) able to
read&write to it?

Probably that is the problem and the next thing to look for is why his
file is not readable by qemu. The file was created by oneadmin at the
time the onimage command was run on the opennebula server to create the
Image object.

Now the qemu process on the execution node is trying, and failing, to
access the file.

Do you have special directory permissions on the image directory? Is it
an NFS mount that is doing "strange" things?

A couple of other things that could be related:
- did you set dynamic_ownership = 0 in the qemu.conf file onthe
execution node?
- did you change the user or group the qemu process is running as?

I hope this is of some help to you,

Wkr,

Jhon

--