[one-users] storage mount for VMs

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Wed Mar 21 02:28:36 PDT 2012

Hi,

Yes, you are right. Next version of OpenNebula features multiple
datastores. In particular, there is a special one (the system datastore)
for storing disk images of running VMs (the /var/lib/one/<vm_id>/images
dirs). Among other benefits this allows the use of multiple datastore types
(TM if you will), and better plan and keep your storage. We keep the
/var/lib/one/<vm_id> for storing deployment files, transfer scripts and the
like. You can think of this directory as a kind of /proc fro VMs.

Thanks for your comments

Ruben

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Shankhadeep Shome <shank15217 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been using Open Nebula for a while now and it's getting quite
> polished however I never really understood the point of creating VM
> directories right under '/var/lib/one/'. It makes it harder to have
> different types of storage for running non-persistent storage and
> persistent images, also it creates a ton of clutter on the '/var/lib/one/'
> location. Why can't the running VMs get their own mount point like
> '/var/lib/one/vms' or something?
>
> Shankhadeep

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect