[one-users] Distributed storage, local copy

Frédéric Dreier frederic.dreier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:15:06 PDT 2012

Hi Marshall,

It all depends on how you will use you cloud.

For example in the last setup I worked on we tried distributed
storage. But we just hit the IOPS maximum of our storage (see IOPS on
wikipedia for more info). It is due to the fact that we have a lot of
VM and no SATA / SAS / iSCSI with or without RAID was able to provide
the number of IOPS we needed. Result was : very slow disk operations
in VM (apt-get upgrade could last hours). Some smart guys just tune
the whole with a centralized NFS (Openindiana, ZFS, RAMDISK + extra
DDRDRIVE) and now it rocks.

Good luck,

Frederic