[one-users] TransportManager for SAN storage, VMs in clvm, templates in GFS2 volume

jan horacek jahor.jhr.cz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 00:01:43 PST 2012

Hi Steve,

The complete writeup about seting all the things up "is on my todo".

clvm is the minimal form on centos. Just a shared storage (sas
infrastructure exactly, but could be anything else like drbd
primary/primary, iscsi etc). The driver currently does not use
exclusive locks, but i'm tempted not to use it in close future. the
global volume group for all the cloud-related things is created as
clustered (--clustered yes).

The GFS2 volume in one of the LV is for /var/lib/one on worker nodes,
context.sh contextualisation isos, vm checkpoints, deployment.X and
disk.X symlinks are here. All the files for oned are on the management
node, in /var/lib/one. This storage is NOT shared betwen management
node and worker nodes.

i'm currently rewriting the driver and related (remotes/fs) to support
the next level for this setup - having all the images created
dynamicaly by one on clvm too.

so in the VG, there is
  * LV for gfs2
  * LVs "lv-one-XXX-X" for nonpresistent, dynamicaly created volumes
  * LVs "lv-oneimg-XXXXXXXXXXX for volumes created in one (by saveas,
cloning etc - replacement of "hash-like" named files)

this brings possibility to use persistent volumes from lvm and not
gfs2 filesystem, future possibility for using snapshosts for cloning
(and even live snapshoting, without suspending the machine). Currently
it is able to create new volumes as a copy of volumes from machines in
suspend state, no need to wait for shutdown, just suspend it and
create copy. For my this gives me the proof, that something working is
cloned and checked and then the source could be suspended - no risk of
saveas failure with work losk.

the last changes are not in my git repo yet, i hope the will be in
very short time.

To your questions...

ad 1... yes, the one management/head node is virtual machine in my
installation. It is on some other physical machine, not directly
connected in the cluster tools. this is why i challenged the
disconnection of the node from shared filesystem, to make safe fencing
in the cluster possible. all fencing could be directly to ipmi and no
need to use libvirt fencing for the management node (management node
shares the physical machine with some other critical systems not
realted in the cloud and so ipmi fencing is not the best way to fence
it)

ad 2... some sort of description is in the text above. the driver in
the form of v0.0.20120221.0 as initialy pushed to github, has
master-templates (isos, hand made sys images) on the lvm, all created
volumes (files with "hash-like filename"), vm images are in the lvm,
so every time you deploy a machine, it dd's the from gfs2 to lvm.
persistent images are used from gfs2. but as i wrote above, this will
change, because i want to minize the usage of the gfs2 storage.

i hope i answered the question sufficiently ;o)

Regards,
Jan Horacek