[one-users] Setting up VMs to use existing DHCP server

Olivier Sallou olivier.sallou at irisa.fr
Thu Jun 28 01:34:43 PDT 2012

Le 6/28/12 6:13 AM, Beng Heng Ng a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup OpenNebula for our research work.
>
> For now, we have one machine with a single NIC to experiment with. How
> can one configure a guest to use DHCP for getting an IP address? I
> know one can specify leases (as described here
> http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel3.0:vgg) in the
> virtual network template file. However, we do not have access to the
> DHCP server, thus it is not possible for us to specify the IPs.
>
> The solutions suggested here
> (http://lists.opennebula.org/pipermail/users-opennebula.org/2010-November/003349.html)
> involves setting up a virtual DHCP server or knowing in advance the IP
> ranges. But are there any ways to request IPs from the existing DHCP
> server directly?
You can configure a network in OpenNebula that defines only MAC
addresses (range of virtual ones).
Then, all you need is to have images with network config configured for
DHCP. Your DHCP will answer to the request.
This is not a requirement that OpenNebula manage the IPs, this is only a
feature.

Olivier