[one-users] Setting up VMs to use existing DHCP server

Beng Heng Ng bengheng at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:13:24 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to setup OpenNebula for our research work.

For now, we have one machine with a single NIC to experiment with. How
can one configure a guest to use DHCP for getting an IP address? I
know one can specify leases (as described here
http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel3.0:vgg) in the
virtual network template file. However, we do not have access to the
DHCP server, thus it is not possible for us to specify the IPs.

The solutions suggested here
(http://lists.opennebula.org/pipermail/users-opennebula.org/2010-November/003349.html)
involves setting up a virtual DHCP server or knowing in advance the IP
ranges. But are there any ways to request IPs from the existing DHCP
server directly?

Thanks in advance.
Beng Heng