[one-users] 32-bit userland/kernel on KVM?

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Wed Jun 27 07:36:33 PDT 2012

I know this is slightly off-topic for OpenNebula list but I am
wondering if anyone else has figured out how to do this:

I am trying to run a virtual machine with 32-bit kernel and userland
under OpenNebula using KVM hypervisor.  I have a 32-bit OS image
prepared, it boots and I can log into it via virtual console.
The problem is that every time it is instantiated, it blows away the
network information with a default network configuration.

In other words, it moves the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
file to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.bak and replaces it with
one that says

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

I can manually change the networking back and reboot and it is ok
but if I save it to the image repo and launch it under a different MAC
address it again blows away the initial networking.

I've seen problems like this before under KVM and Xen 64-bit VM's and
somehow beat them but I don't remember how.  Anyone have any clues?
Or a better libvirt-centered list to which this question could be
directed?

Steve Timm

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
timm at fnal.gov  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Group Leader.
Lead of FermiCloud project.