[one-users] MPI Cluster on OpenNebula

Quynh Le lhnquynh at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 18:58:58 PDT 2012

Hello Shank,

I thank you so much for your description.

But we are using virtual machines, so changes and configuration on each virtual node will be lost when it terminates. (1)
Every time we launch a cluster, we may change the number of slave nodes, up to the problem size. (2)

So could you be kind enough to help me make a small thing clear once again, as I don't know about Cloudera yet.

For example, we do not know in advance how many slave nodes will be launched (because of (2)), what their IP addresses are, so the configuration on /etc/hostsis left util the time the cluster is launched. If the cluster size is big, it'd be difficult. Do you configure this manually? Or will OpenNebula context script help? Or will Cloudera do?

Thank you again.

Quynh

Anyway, 30min for 50-VM cluster is impressive. What propagation method you used? How big a VM image? As the typical LAN speed is 12MB/s (100Mbps) if you use scp. (I don't try NFS yet).

Well, you can do the following

	* Create a master node template and slave node template, make their
configuration such that they keep that relationship, one way ssh key etc
	* Deploy the master node and configure the software on it then deploy as many slave nodes to connect back to the master node.
	* In our configuration, we deploy M identical nodes, then we pick one of the nodes as master and install the master node software (cloudera manager
in our case).
	* Then we use cloudera manager to deploy the rest of the nodes, in our case this includes one hdfs name node, one job tracker, (M-3) hdfs data nodes and (M-3) map reduce task trackers.
	* We have deployed around 50 VMs within a 30 min period using this configuration.

Shank

Hello Shankhadeep,