[one-users] Win2008R2 Server in OpenNebula VM (KVM hypervisor)

Michael Kutzner michael.kutzner at virtion.de
Tue Jul 10 08:12:21 PDT 2012

Am 10.07.2012 um 16:03 schrieb Jan Benadik:

> Thanks for your effort Javier.
>
> Nobody installed Windows 2008 Server in KVM VM?

Hello Jan,

prepare the image for nebula in KVM (e.g. using virt-manager).

You need the Windows-ISO and the virtio-Drivers (e.g. downloadable from the Fedora project), if
you are not using IDE disks (hda...).
-> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers

The way is comparable to the one described here (http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/virtio-install-windows-7-kvm-x64x86-on-ubuntu-10-04-1-server-via-dnjl-ppa/)
for Windows 7.

The key point is to load the drivers before installation (from e.g. the virtual floppy or a second
cdrom image).
After the drivers are loaded, the virtion disk is recognized and you can start the installation.

Best,
  Michael

> Jan
>
> Dňa 10.07.2012 15:52, Javier Fontan wrote / napísal(a):
>> I fear I cannot help you here. I've never installed a windows inside a VM. Let's see if someone had any experience with that.
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Jan Benadik <jan.benadik at atos.net> wrote:
>> No - it doesn't help ...:-(
>> Still the same behaviour
>>
>> Jan
>>
>> DĹˆa 10.07.2012 15:32, Javier Fontan wrote / napĂ­sal(a):
>>> Try attaching the disk to the IDE bus, add TARGET="hda" in the hard disk "DISK" description.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Jan Benadik <jan.benadik at atos.net> wrote:
>>> No - this is inside of windows machine (during the installation - see attached screenshot).
>>> I know there is possibility to press F8 somewhere at the begin of Win Server installation, but in VM this is (maybe) available for very short moment only ...
>>>
>>> Nobody installed Win Server in OpenNebula VM yet?
>>>
>>> Image "w-hd" information
>>> ID 11 Name w-hd
>>> Datastore shared
>>> Owner test
>>> Group users
>>> Type OS
>>> Register time 13:48:32 07/10/2012
>>> Persistent yes
>>> Source /var/lib/one/datastores/100/1621efcc90c1e3f27d978f202c9dd8cf
>>> Path --
>>> Filesystem type ntfs
>>> Size (Mb) 10000
>>>
>>> Template Information: