[one-users] experiences with distributed FS?

Michael Berlin michael.berlin.xtreemfs at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 9 02:17:50 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm one of the developers of the distributed file system XtreemFS. I
just noticed this thread since one of the posters followed us on
Twitter. So I just joint the mailing list.

Internally we also run a OpenNebula cluster and use XtreemFS as shared
file system there. Since XtreemFS is POSIX compatible, you can use the
tm_nfs and just point OpenNebula to the mounted POSIX volume.

A colleague of mine did setup the installation which is based on
OpenNebula 2.2. So I'm not fully aware of the details. He told me that
he has also pointed the variable VM_DIR (in $ONE_LOCATION/etc/oned.conf)
to a XtreemFS volume, so our KVM-based installation does support live
migration. So far we haven't seen any problems with using XtreemFS in
OpenNebula, otherwise we would have fixed it ;-)

Regarding the performance: We did not do any measurements so far. Any
numbers or suggestions how to benchmark different distributed file
systems are welcome.

In XtreemFS the metadata of a volume is stored on one metadata server.
If you like, you can set it up replicated and then your file system will
have no single point of failure.

Regarding support: Although we cannot offer commercial support, we
provide support through our mailing list and are always eager to help.

Best regards,
Michael