[one-users] experiences with distributed FS?

Hutson Betts hut101 at tamu.edu
Wed Feb 8 08:34:06 PST 2012

Our research project is currently using GlusterFS for our distributed
NFS storage system. We're leveraging the distributed-replica
configuration in which every two pairs of servers is a replica pair, and
all pairs form a distributed cluster. We do not do data stripping since
to achieve up-time reliability with stripping would require too many
servers.

Furthermore, another nice feature of GlusterFS, is that you can just
install it into a VM, clone it a few times, and distribute them across
VMMs. However, we utilize physical servers using RAID-1.

One issue with MooseFS is that it relies upon a single Metadata server.
Therefore, if that Metadata server fails, the cluster fails. GlusterFS
does not have a Metadata server.

--
Sincerely,
Hutson Betts (Computer Science and Engineering - Texas A&M University)