[one-users] experiences with distributed FS?

Hans-Joachim Ehlers HansJoachim.Ehlers at eumetsat.int
Wed Feb 8 05:56:42 PST 2012

Hi Joao,

> We're looking into the possibility of using a distributed FS, like
> glusterfs or similar solution for the image repository

We are looking forward to use GPFS as a clustered FS for our upcoming KVM & OpenNebula solution since we are already a happy GPFS user.

I personally like GPFS since it is pretty flexible ( Support for LX,AIX, and MS ) and very scalable BUT it is not opensource.
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/software/gpfs/resources.html

Regarding your questions
 - Stability (is it maintainable without a general shutdown)? - If best practise has been followed you can survive without a forced downtime for years.*
 - Effort/learning curve - If you familiar with an clustered fs already - A few days with a little help.

*In case you would use NFS ( hard mounted ) on top of GPFS you could survive for decades ( In case a 60 sec NFS 'hang' would be Ok ;-) since this approach would allow you to survive even a complete GPFS cluster reboot. But best practise is to use a rolling update/upgrade approach so only parts of the cluster server will be down for a certain time and not affecting the service.

Hth
Hajo