[one-users] MAC problem with KVM--OpenNebula3.0

Gian Uberto Lauri saint at eng.it
Tue Feb 7 01:01:56 PST 2012

JL> Then I can access the instance with VNC viewer on the nodes(not
JL> the NoVNC in Sunstone).  But the instance was not accessible from
JL> the internet.  I checked the ifcfg-eth0 file in the VM instance
JL> and noticed something weird.  The MAC always starts with
JL> 52:54:00:xx:xx:xx, not the one assigned by OpenNebula. However, I
JL> check the hardware info from the SunStone and Virt-Manager. The
JL> MAC is right.

There is nothing weird.

If you do not edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 it will
always have the wrong MAC.

The MAC is passed correctly to the  vm, and if you issue the 'ifconfig
eth0' command you should see it right.

I think that the toy VM 'ttylinux'  has a nice script that can be used
to generate network configuration scripts  from the context.sh and the
right time to  run it is NOT rc.local  but before /etc/init.d/network,
placing a  S09context before  the S10network  in the  default runlevel
directory:  you get  the  default runtime  from /etc/inittab  (usually
'id:3:initdefault:'  for full  multiuser w/o  X11, 'id:5:initdefault:'
for full multiuser with X11) and the corresponding rulnevel directory
is /etc/rc[runlevel number].d .

Placing the network configuration in rc.local *may* have the effect of
some network  service not properly  working because they  started when
the network was misconfigured.

--
ing. Gian Uberto Lauri
Ricercatore / Reasearcher

GianUberto.Lauri at eng.it

Engineering Ingegneria Informatica spa
Corso Stati Uniti 23/C, 35127 Padova (PD)

Tel. +39-049.8283.571         | main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],
Fax  +39-049.8283.569		  |    (unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}
Skype: gian.uberto.lauri	  |          David Korn, AT&T Bell Labs
http://www.eng.it 			  |          ioccc best One Liner, 1987