[one-users] MAC problem with KVM--OpenNebula3.0

Jing Li lijingwhu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:43:29 PST 2012

Hello,
I have a question regarding to the network setup. I was able to set up the
enviroment(CentOS5.7+KVM+OpenNebula 3.0).  Here are my steps to set up the
instance(https://portal.futuregrid.org/tutorials/opennebula).
1) Create a CentOS image with KVM.   Include vmcontext.sh into the OS
image.
2) Setup a fix public virtual network.br1 is the bridge I've created.
3) Create a template pointing to the image.
4)Create a new instance

Then I can access the instance with VNC viewer on the nodes(not the NoVNC
in Sunstone).
But the instance was not accessible from the internet.  I checked the
ifcfg-eth0 file in the VM instance and noticed something weird.
The MAC always starts with 52:54:00:xx:xx:xx, not the one assigned by
OpenNebula. However, I check the hardware info from the SunStone and
Virt-Manager. The MAC is right.

I tried  a few ways to change the MAC
1) Change the ifcfg-eth0 mannually -->restart network-->ping ip -->fail
2) Start the virtual machine using:
qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512 -hda disk.0, -net
nic,macaddr=02:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx-->check ifcfg-eth0, still got 52:xx:xx...

Is there anyway to fix the MAC problem? Any suggestions appreciated.

--
best,

Jing Li