[one-users] option to prevent a VM instance from being deployed

Simon Boulet simon at nostalgeek.com
Thu Dec 20 18:15:12 PST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Hyun Woo Kim <hyunwoo at fnal.gov> wrote:

>  1. apply the patch in the first place

The patch applies cleanly to the latest 3.8.1.

Also don't forget to set VM_SUBMIT_ON_HOLD = "YES" in your oned.conf.

> 2. define a new VM_HOOK in oned.conf that looks like
>    VM_HOOK= [
>      name = "special_hold"
>      on = "CREATE"
>     command = "a new script"
>     argument = "$VMID $TEMPLATE"  ]

3. create the "a new script" which decodes $TEMPLATE first and
>     looks for a "a custom VM attribute"
>     and depending on the value of the attribute, onevm release $VMID

Here is a sample hook.

In you oned.conf :

VM_HOOK= [
  name = "special_hold",
  on = "CREATE",
  command = "/tmp/special_hold",
  arguments = "$ID" ]

And create the /tmp/special_hook script:

#!/bin/sh
VM_ID=$1

if [ "`onevm show $VM_ID|grep -c ^SUBMIT_PENDING=\\"YES\\"`" = "1" ]; then
  onevm release $VM_ID
fi

Make sure to chmod +x /tmp/special_hook.

This script will release VM that have the special SUBMIT_PENDING="YES"
attribute in their template.

>  I also would like to know if your patch has been tested in a production
> cluster.

I haven't tested the patch in production yet. However, I'm confident it's
safe to use. In fact, it was accepted and will be integrated in the next
OpenNebula release.

Thanks

Simon