[one-users] CentOS + OpenNebula feedback

Alexandros Soumplis soumplis at ekt.gr
Fri Dec 7 06:59:10 PST 2012

I have just installed opennebula through the testing repo in order to
test how well integrates with gluster fs. So here are some remarks
regarding the documentation and installation process.

1. After installing the opennebula-node-kvm rpm the directory
/var/lib/one/datastores is not created, thus there is a little mismatch
with [2] where it takes for granted (under "Configure NFS") that this
directory exists

2. On [2] the "Configure SSH passwordless login" fails at the scp step
due to the fact that no pub keys exist on the remote server. I think the
documentation should mention the need for creation of a .ssh directory
and manual copy of authorized_keys with appropriate permissions. It
should also mention that due to the limitation of SElinux it should
either be disabled or configured adequately to allow ssh logins when the
home dir is under /var/lib

3. On [2] under the section "A Basic Run" and "Starting OpenNebula's
services" there is some mismatch between shell prompts and commands (ex.

# sudo su - oneadmin

should be

# su - oneadmin

and

     $ service opennebula start
     $ service opennebula-sunstone start
     $ service opennebula-occi start

should be:

     $ sudo service opennebula start
     $ sudo service opennebula-sunstone start
     $ sudo service opennebula-occi start

or

     # service opennebula start
     # service opennebula-sunstone start
     # service opennebula-occi start

4. I am not sure but I think the first time you start the services you
should start opennebula-occi befora opennebula-sunstone or else you get
an error similar to "[UserPoolInfo] User couldn't be authenticated,
aborting call."

5.  By default sunstone binds to 127.0.0.1. I think this is not desired
as I suppose the vast majority of installations require remote access to
sunstone

On 03/12/2012 08:46 ??, Jaime Melis wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> OpenNebula is in its way to be included in the official CentOS repos.
> The packages are already in the 'testing' repo, and we need some
> feedback to move them to the official repos.
>
> To make it more fun for everybody we will send an OpenNebula T-Shirt
> and some stickers to the 10 best feedbacks we receive by next monday!
>
> Some guidelines:
>
> - Deadline is Monday 10th December, 18:00 CET
> - We need feedback for the packages [1], the Quickstart guide [2] and
> the CentOS-OpenNebula images [3].
> - Patches for the packages are more than welcome!! [4]
> - Submit your feedback to this thread
>
> [1] http://dev.centos.org/centos/6/opennebula/
> [2] http://wiki.centos.org/Cloud/OpenNebula/QuickStart
> [3] http://wiki.centos.org/Cloud/OpenNebula
> [4] https://nazar.karan.org/tree/misc!opennebula.git/refs!heads!misc
> <https://nazar.karan.org/tree/misc%21opennebula.git/refs%21heads%21misc>
>
> Good luck!
>
> cheers,
> Jaime
>
> --
> Jaime Melis
> Project Engineer
> OpenNebula - The Open Source Toolkit for Cloud Computing
> www.OpenNebula.org <http://www.OpenNebula.org> | jmelis at opennebula.org
> <mailto:jmelis at opennebula.org>

Alexandros Soumplis
Systems Engineer (M.Sc, RHCE, VCP, SCSA)

National Documentation Center / N.H.R.F.
Information Systems Department
48, Vas. Constantinou Av.
116 35 Athens, Greece
phone: +30 210 7273984  fax: +30 210 7252223
email: soumplis at ekt.gr
http://www.ekt.gr