[one-users] Dealing with port mirroring

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Fri Dec 7 03:00:12 PST 2012

Hi Carlos,

I think the proper way to do this is by configuring the port monitoring
automatically in the `post` open vswitch script:

https://github.com/OpenNebula/one/blob/one-3.8/src/vnm_mad/remotes/ovswitch/post
https://github.com/OpenNebula/one/blob/one-3.8/src/vnm_mad/remotes/ovswitch/OpenvSwitch.rb

What I would do is to add a custom value to the template, such as
PORT_MIRRORING="one-10;one-11"

Which will be read by the OpenvSwitch.rb and configure the port mirroring
of VMS one-10 and one-11. You could also hardcode in the driver a valid
user id, so that if it's not that user, no port mirroring will be set.

cheers,
Jaime

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Carlos Jiménez
<cjimenez at eneotecnologia.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a computer running OpenNebula 3.8 and two hosts running KVM
> (creating a cluster). I've configured open vswitch on both hosts and I
> would like to prepare a VM acting as an IDS. For that reason, I've
> configured Open vSwitch with a span port (port mirroring) in that virtual
> switch. The issue is that virtual nic (vnet) of the VM seems to be created
> on the host only after deployment. So, what about when the VM is expected
> to migrate/move from one host to another? Is there any automated way to
> manage the creation of that port mirroring regardless of the host the VM is
> running?
> I've been dealing with /one/remotes/vnm/ovswitch/**OpenvSwitch.rb trying
> to modify post command behaviour without success.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Carlos.

Jaime Melis
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org