[one-users] the synchronous problem between the cancel operation and tm_delete.sh for lxc driver (Users Digest, Vol 58, Issue 20)

Rolandas Naujikas rolandas.naujikas at mif.vu.lt
Fri Dec 7 00:13:37 PST 2012

On 2012-12-06 20:48, Ruben S. Montero wrote:
> Hi
>
> It seems that this behavior is problematic. Let me elaborate on Simon
> comment. As pointed out by Simon there are two similar VM operations:

You make more confusion here, because in the past I saw similar problem
when developing my own LVM driver. We are talking, that in delete action
on VM opennebula executes tm/delete and vmm/cancel actions in parallel
what causes problems, because lvm volumes could not be destroyed when in
use by xen VM. As a workaround my LVM driver waits in background until
it can delete LVM volume.

> * delete, this is equivalent to kill -9 It is a hard kill of the VM.
> It does not check anything and trigger cancellation/delete actions to
> free the associated resources. It is supposed to be used when a VM is
> stuck in any state.
>
> * cancel, it cancels the VM and cleans the resources but checks and
> synchro is in place.
>
> Note that this synchronization problem is only for VM's in running.
>
> This seems to be confusing, we are thinking of moving the delete
> operation to the ADMIN set (so you need admin permissions to delete)
> and so force users to use the safer cancel operation... Any thoughts?

At least it should be configurable.

Regards, Rolandas Naujikas