[one-users] Question about migrating a stand-alone KVM node with VM's into an OpenNebula setup

Bart bart at pleh.info
Thu Aug 23 02:33:21 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm new to OpenNebula and have read some of the documentation and even got
the book (b.t.w. a great book!), as such I'm in the process of setting up
an initial setup to see how all the pieces fit together.

For the initial setup I have 4 servers, all identical, and the setup that
I'm going for is a growth model as shown below:

   - The first server will be the OpenNebula management server.
   - The second and third server will both function as a distributed
   filesystem using MooseFS, the idea is to get a redundant server setup for
   storage + have the ability to easily grow the storage side.
   - The fourth server will become a KVM node in it's own cluser. In
   addition to this one node we currently have three other stand-alone KVM
   servers which will eventually be integrated into this setup (so in the end
   I'll have four KVM nodes, all in one cluster).

I'm pretty confident that this setup will work, but if you have some ideas
on an even better setup then I'm all up for the info :)

As mentioned, we currently have three running stand-alone KVM nodes. They
are currently running about 20 VM's in total and I'll have to migrate these
VM's towards the OpenNebula setup since OpenNebula doesn't detect the
currently running VM's.
I've read somewhere on these lists that you'd have to import the current
disk image (they are all in raw file format) and try to duplicate the
template from where you'll be able to startup a VM with that image. . . (it
was a short answer...)

My question is, are there example tutorials on how to do these migrations?
Or tricks/scripts that can help with the migration?

Currently this is the biggest question that I have, if I can do a migration
in a proper way (I don't mind if I have to do it manually, as long as it
works) then I can start to make plans for a production environment along
with a migration plan where I'll move VM's from one server to OpenNebula
and then reinstall the stand-alone KVM node to become part of the
OpenNebula cluster.

Any input would be great, so thanks in advance.

--
Bart