[one-users] Cant´t create own working VM for OpenNebula

Yilmaz Eldogan yeldogan at web.de
Fri Apr 27 00:24:02 PDT 2012

Hello,

I´m trying for 4 weeks to create an own working VM for OpenNebula 3.2,
but my approaches haven´t been successful.

First I want to give you information about our subnet:
Subnet-Range: xxx.xxx.xxx.128 - xxx.xxx.xxx.192
Subnet-Mask: 255.255.255.192
Frontend: xxx.xxx.xxx.180
Node: xxx.xxx.xxx.179
Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.190
DNS: xxx.xxx.xxx.131
DHCP: xxx.xxx.xxx.134

I tried to deploy ttylinux (OpenNebula Example VM) and pinging and SSH
is working without any problems. But my approaches to create a working
Ubuntu/OpenSUSE VM that I can ping and connect via SSH haven´t been
succcessful.
I have created many VMs. Downloaded the right contextualization file
from here:
http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/opennebula/repository/show/share/scripts.

Of course I adapt the Gateway and Subnet-Mask part in the file to our
subnet. I leave the context part in the template-file (to create VMs)
empty.
In the VM, I link the downloaded and adapted context file, so the script
is started every time the VM boots. The VM is deployed to the cloud
properly, and it also gets in the "RUNNING" state.

But my major problems are that I can´t ping ("Destination Host
Unreachable") or connect via SSH to them.

I tried these tutorials, but at the end of these approaches I´m getting
the same errors:
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.4:cong
https://portal.futuregrid.org/tutorials/opennebula
https://support.opennebula.pro/entries/20466331-using-suse-studio-with-opennebula

Any ideas, what I´m doing wrong ?

Here you can see my template file to create a VM in OpenNebula:

Name=UbuntuVM
CPU    = 0.5
MEMORY = 512
DISK   = [
SOURCE = "/var/lib/one/images/ubuntu.img",
target = "hda",
readonly = "no"]

NIC    = [ NETWORK ="cloud network" ]

FEATURES=[ acpi="no" ]

The virtual network "cloud network" is created via Sunstone web UI and
contains the following IPs:
xxx.xxx.xxx.166
xxx.xxx.xxx.171
xxx.xxx.xxx.172