[one-users] OpenNebuka Hosted-VLAN support

Alberto Picón Couselo alpicon1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 14:14:11 PDT 2011

Hello,

We are testing hosted VLAN support in OpenNebula to implement network
isolation. This feature seems to work correctly when a new instance is
deployed, as it is stated in oned.conf, hm-vlan hook is executed in
PROLOG state.

However, there are another states where VLANs and bridges should be
created (or its existence checked) before executing a concrete operation:

* Migration/Live migration of an instance to a hypervisor where VLAN and
bridge of the instance has never been created
VLAN and bridge existence should be checked and created if necessary
before migration is executed. Opennebula 3.0 RC1 performs migration
without doing these checks and fails to migrate/live migrate the
instance, leaving it in a FAILED state.

* A failed instance cannot be redeployed to a hypervisor where VLAN and
bridge of the instance has never been created
VLAN and bridge existence should be checked and created if necessary to
redeploy the image to the selected hypervisor.

* A stopped instance cannot be resumed if VLAN and bridge of the
instance does not exist.
If we stop all instances of a concrete hypervisor and reboot the
hypervisor for maintenance purposes, all bridges and VLANs will be
deleted. Stopped instances won't resume because VLANs and bridges
requirements are not satisfied and will enter in a FAILED state
(performing a deletion of non persistent disks; BTW, we have removed
deletion lines in tm_delete script for the moment, :D).

So, VLAN and bridge existence should be checked and created if necessary
to resume/migrate/livemigrate/recover_from_failed_state the instance to
the selected hypervisor. As it is stated in oned.conf, hm-vlan hook
could be executed on:

# Virtual Machine Hooks (VM_HOOK) defined by:
#   name      : for the hook, useful to track the hook (OPTIONAL)
#   on        : when the hook should be executed,
#               - CREATE, when the VM is created (onevm create)
#               - PROLOG, when the VM is in the prolog state
#               - RUNNING, after the VM is successfully booted
#               - SHUTDOWN, after the VM is shutdown
#               - STOP, after the VM is stopped (including VM image
transfers)
#               - DONE, after the VM is deleted or shutdown
#               - FAILED, when the VM enters the failed state

But I'm not able to find a procedure to implement these functionalities
in oned.conf for the states I mentioned.

Please, can you give me any clues?

Best Regards,
Alberto Picón