[one-users] Bonded/trunked interfaces in OpenNebula

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Mon Oct 31 10:12:09 PDT 2011

Hello Donny,

I have been doing a good bit of searching for the answer to this but cannot
> seem to find a straight answer. My servers have 4 network cards each.
> Currently I have them all bonded/trunked. How does OpenNebula handle this?
> I want to redo my hosts and start fresh. Do I need to go ahead and do the
> bond/trunk on the host manually or does OpenNebula handle that?

using a bonded interface with OpenNebula is the same as using a regular
interface i.e. perform the network configuration first (including attaching
the bonded -or regular- interface to a bridge) and use that bridge in the
network configuration templates. In other words, OpenNebula doesn't handle
the network configuration, you have to do that manually, it only cares
about what bridge to hook the VMs to.

Also I thought to bond 2 each for SAN and network traffic instead of all 4
> bonded like they are. The bond is really only for speed increase more so
> than fault tolerance.

Bonding interfaces is a very good idea, for all the hosts and especially
more for the storage server (SAN or whatever). Since the storage network
will have a lot of traffic keeping it separated is a very good practice.

Regards,
Jaime

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Donny Brooks <dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us>wrote:

> I have been doing a good bit of searching for the answer to this but
> cannot seem to find a straight answer. My servers have 4 network cards
> each. Currently I have them all bonded/trunked. How does OpenNebula handle
> this? I want to redo my hosts and start fresh. Do I need to go ahead and do
> the bond/trunk on the host manually or does OpenNebula handle that? Also I
> thought to bond 2 each for SAN and network traffic instead of all 4 bonded
> like they are. The bond is really only for speed increase more so than
> fault tolerance.
>
> --
> Donny B.

Jaime Melis