[one-users] A question about the utilization of VMs

Fabian Wenk fabian at wenks.ch
Sun Nov 27 05:42:53 PST 2011

Hello Adnan

On 24.11.2011 21:16, Adnan Pasic wrote:
> Is there a way to circumvent that? For my diploma thesis I need to utilize
> deployed VMs for a period of up to 12 hours. However, if KSM is active, the
> physical host doesn't hold this utilization, but adjusts the used memory
> pages.

I do not know, but I guess your 'lookbusy' tool is just
allocating the memory, but not really using it (eg. filling it up
with random data). I guess "using" the allocated memory should
help you even with KSM turned on. I am not sure about freeing the
used memory after the process has stopped. Usually this memory is
just marked as free from the kernel, but will only be "purged"
over time or when an other process is requesting memory. Probably
your 'lookbusy' process needs to clear (fill with zeros?) the
memory before ending. Then I guess KSM on the cluster node will
do its work and reduces the memory usage of the VM.

> Since I want to measure the power consumption of the physical host under
> full VM utilization, I need the real memory to stay utilized as well, yet I

Does your 'lookbusy' process also use CPU cycles (eg. creating
full load on the VM) or only memory? The most power consumption
difference you will see on different CPU load and not memory
allocation. Also the amount disk I/O does affect the power
consumption.

bye
Fabian