[one-users] A question about the utilization of VMs

Fabian Wenk fabian at wenks.ch
Sun Nov 27 04:56:13 PST 2011

Hello Adnan

On 23.11.2011 16:20, Adnan Pasic wrote:
> Yes, I am using KVM, indeed. But let me set this straight, the
> programme "lookbusy" that I am using, utilizes the VMs
> completely (the whole 2GB) and when I e.g. look at the memory
> usage inside the VM (via top, or free) it shows that the whole
> 2GB are used. However, the physical machine doesn't show the
> same data, but in fact find its equilibrium at about 500MB.
> Did you mean that?

I think if you read "Is dynamic memory management for guests
supported? " [1] in the KVM FAQ, this could explain the effect
you see and also give you hints to check certain configurations.
A nice friend [42] pointed me to this with about one minute of
following suggestion.

   [1]
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/FAQ#Is_dynamic_memory_management_for_guests_supported.3F
   [42] https://www.google.com/search?q=kvm%20memory