[one-users] VMs still reported as running although host is down

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Wed May 11 09:48:30 PDT 2011

Hi Steffen,

There are two reasons I can think of that can cause that behaviour:

1) The next monitoring cycle hasn't been triggered.
2) The monitorization was triggered, but the command crashed and it didn't
return neither FAILURE or SUCCESS to the core.

I've made a couple of tests and found that, indeed, there is a bug :/
You can its ticket here [1].

The problem is that the core sends the monitoring request to the ssh driver,
and it is supposed to return FAILURE or SUCCESS. Instead, the driver is
crashing, and the Host and VM keep the last monitoring data (and status).

This could also cause trouble if the motorization probe gets stuck, and
doesn't end its execution.
We are aware of this problem, and we intend to add timeouts and checks to
the drivers to ensure that the actions are always answered to the core.

Thanks for the feedback!
Carlos.

[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/630

--