[one-users] cpu overcommit with kvm

Giovanni Toraldo gt at libersoft.it
Thu May 5 00:39:28 PDT 2011

Il 04/05/2011 18:39, Ruben S. Montero ha scritto:
> You can guide the overcommitment by using the CPU attribute of the
> template. For example if you want to put 16 VMs in nebula02 with 8
> cores, just define the VMs with
>
> CPU = 0.5

I already tried CPU setting, but the guest will see half of the real
frequency of my host CPU: this isn't cpu overcommit, I am just saying to
allocate half of my 8 cpu to that VM (or not?).

What I am trying to achieve is what I already do with other KVM-based
virtualization platforms:

allocating to every VM much more cpu than actually available on the host
(ex: 16 VMs with VCPU = 4 and CPU = 1), so a single VM can get a lot of
cpu power when needed.
In the case there are many VM using a lot of cpu, it will be equally
shared among them by the Linux process scheduler on the host.

Am I missing something? Is this a bad practice?

Thanks.

--
Giovanni Toraldo
http://www.libersoft.it/