[one-users] usermod libvirtd start -·-error-·-

Gian Uberto Lauri saint at eng.it
Tue May 3 01:09:36 PDT 2011

MM> usermod libvirtd start usermod: user 'start' does not exist

Issuing  the command  'man usermod'  you  can access  the manpage  for
usermod and  learn that usermod  just changes the 'account  files' (in
this case /etc/groups).

MM> Does OpenNebula requires libivrt running?  How do I start libvirt?

OpenNebula   does  need   libvirt  running,   and  require   a  proper
certificates setup  to handle  live migration (at  least with  the NFS
drivers).

libvirtd (d is  for daemon, that is the libvirt  daemon[1]) is started
either issuing

/etc/init.d/libvirtd start

-this is the old way, works always- or

service libvirt start

-a new, windowish way. requires the service command -

I admit that the chkconfig command is really useful for (de)activating
the automatic start of a daemon ad boot time.

[1]  in Unix  jargon a  daemon is  a program  that runs  in background
without a controlling tty. Windows call such programs 'services'. Unix
wisely knows that the service is what the daemon offers :).\

--
ing. Gian Uberto Lauri
Ricercatore / Reasearcher

GianUberto.Lauri at eng.it

Engineering Ingegneria Informatica spa
Corso Stati Uniti 23/C, 35127 Padova (PD)

Tel. +39-049.8283.571         | main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],
Fax  +39-049.8283.569		  |    (unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}
Skype: gian.uberto.lauri	  |          David Korn, AT&T Bell Labs
http://www.eng.it 			  |          ioccc best One Liner, 1987