[one-users] VM stuck in "migration" state - migration never issued(Xen)

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 06:55:22 PDT 2011

After live migration command the action is immediately send to the
driver so most of the times the call to xm migrate should be mostly
instantaneous. You also have to take into account that we have limited
the number of actions that can be performed over a Host, only one per
host. This actions are all related with VM's, creation, shutdown,
migration, etc. Can you check that no other action is being performed
in that host?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Thomas Knauth <thomas.knauth at gmx.de> wrote:
>> I just resoved a similar issue on my installation with xen: originally I
>> didn't set a fixed memory for Dom0 and, then, OpenNebula monitor didn't
>> recognize the real amount of free ram on the host: in fact OpenNebula
>> thinked the host was full of ram because Linux Bufferization and, then,
>> didn't migrate the VM.
>
> The Dom0's have a fixed amount of memory. Also, TMEM and FMEM shown by
> onehost list indicate enough memory resources for the VM.
>
> Just this morning I couldn't even boot VMs. The VM would go from
> pending, to prolog, to boot, and hang there. When checking
> /var/log/auth.log, the actual command for booting the VM was never
> issued on the target host.
>
> But then, 30min later, it did work again (starting and migrating VMs).
> I'm frustrated by this seemingly random behavior ...

Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher