[one-users] Does OpenNebula work or replace VMware vCenter?

florian.feldhaus at tu-dortmund.de florian.feldhaus at tu-dortmund.de
Thu Jun 23 04:12:45 PDT 2011

Hi Derrick,

from my past experience I can say, that OpenNebula in the current version is not ready to replace VMware vCenter. But, with OpenNebula 3.0 many of the missing features are implemented and as far as I could test them, OpenNebula seems to be a good / cost efficient choice to replace vCenter. Integrating OpenNebula with vCenter and usage of ESX is possible, but from my point of view this is only valid as a migration path to replace it with a KVM or XEN infrastructure.

If you have a production setup where a downtime of your service costs a lot of money, then you're probably better off with vCenter and buying all their licenses. If you want to provide a cheap IaaS plattform, then OpenNebula 3.0 could be right for you. BTW: From a recent comparison of OpenNebula 3.0 and the current version of OpenStack I got the impression that OpenNebula will be better suitable for IaaS environments. Especially the Sunstone Webinterface has more potential than the OpenStack webinterface.

Cheers,
Florian