[one-users] Does OpenNebula work or replace VMware vCenter?

Derrick LIN klin938 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 20:44:22 PDT 2011

Hi guys,

My institute is running a cloud platform which is VMware vSphere based with
its Enterprise Plus license. We also have a vCenter server for managing the
platform.

I have been seeking a way to allow me to automate the VM deployment process
and contextualize the Linux VMs.

OpenNebula seems to be a solution. I have read through some documentations
as well as the VMware Driver Addon guide. But I still not quite understand
many basic aspects of OpenNebula, particularly:

1) What's the position for OpenNebula in a VMware based platform that
vCenter already exists?
2) Our Enterprise Plus license gives us full features of the vSphere
platform, work with the vCenter, does OpenNebula interact with those
features as well?

I'd keen to hear from anyone who has the experience on this.

Thanks in advance.
Derrick