[one-users] Requirements for installing Open Nebula

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Wed Jun 22 05:47:13 PDT 2011

On 06/22/2011 08:07 AM, Joydipto Banerjee wrote:
> Hello - I am planning to build a private cloud with Open Nebula (
> personal use , non-commercial ).
> I believe a minimum of two physical machines are required :
>
> 1. "Front End" - virtualized Linux image
> 2. "Cluster Node" - has to be a physical machine running a Hypervisor.
>
> Is the above correct ?

That'll work.

> Also, what are the minimum CPU, RAM, Disk requirements for Front End and
> the Cluster Node ?

That depends on the performance you expect and the Hypervisor you use.
If you build the cloud based on KVM you need a CPU that has
virtualization instructions. If you want to use Xen you can get away
with a CPU that does not have virtualization instructions.

If you plan to run 64 bit VMs you'll need an x86-64 box, if you are only
running 32 bit VMs you can run on a 32 bit CPU.

RAM depends on the number of VMs you expect to run and what is inside
the VMs. Disk requirements depends on the number of images you anticipate.

No real answers I know, but it all depends....

Robert

Tech Lead
rschweikert at novell.com
rschweikert at ca.ibm.com