[one-users] Need some How To's

Tino Vazquez tinova79 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 03:32:33 PDT 2011

Hi Alok,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Alok Shrivastwa <
alokshrivastwa at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Team,
>
> Sorry if I am being redundant here. I am a beginner and am just starting to
> learn to use the Cloud Nebula product and I want to use it with VMWare
> ESX/ESXi. Now, I was wondering as to what was needed. I will put in my
> understanding here (after going through the wiki) and please point me in the
> right direction if I am mistaken.
>
> In order to do this
>
> 1. VM - Running Ubuntu 10 for the Front End
> 2. Bare Metal x64 Arch box - Running ESX/ESXi (For Node)
>
> Now, here are a few questions
>
> 1. Do I need a SAN architecuture for this testing ?

No, you just need a NFS server (it can be the same ONE front-end). Also, if
you are not aware, you will need the VMware Driver Addon [1].

> 2. I am kind of confused with the image and storage terminologies used in
> the wiki.

The terminology can be confusing since there might be inconsistencies. In
general storage means the container of images.

> If I have an OVF template, that I want to deploy on the ESX server with
> help of the Open Nebula. How do I host the OVF (and the VMDK and other
> stuff), where will the virtual hard drive of the VM instance be stored in
> this case?

As of now, OpenNebula doesn't support OVFs. You will need to

  1) Register the VMDK files using oneimage
  2) Create a VM template referencing the disk id obatined in step 1)

> I was reading about the fact you had to export some volumes as NFS before
> and add them in datastore, all this confused me, so if anyone has
> implemented some thing like this, using Open nebula/SAN/ESX, some pointers
> will be great.

Yes, you basically need to export $ONE_LOCATION/var in the front-end using
NFS, and mount it in the ESX host as a DATASTORE. The name of the DATASTORE
needs to be sert in $ONE_LOCATION/etc/vmm_sh/vmm_sh_vmware.conf

> Sorry for such an open ended question and pardon my ignorance.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alok

Best regards,

-Tino

[1] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.2:evmwareg

Constantino Vázquez Blanco | dsa-research.org/tinova
Virtualization Technology Engineer / Researcher
OpenNebula Toolkit | opennebula.org