[one-users] Migrating from 1.2/1.4 to 2.x : official support ?

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Mon Jan 31 02:53:30 PST 2011

Hi

> I should have asked something like "Is there official upgrade process
> planned
> for 2.2 release *to allow upgrade from any previous release, including 1.2
> ou
> 1.4 release* ?"

The release of OpenNebula 2.0 consumed too much effort so we did not have
time to develop tools for migrating from 1.4 to 2.0. That was a
difficult decision, considering the production deployments of OpenNebula. We
thought that the new features and scalability and general stabilization of
the code was worth a less straightforward update procedure. We'd hope that
we made the right decision.

Fortunately, OpenNebula has a great community and there are a couple of
scripts contributed by Marlon Nerling (THANKS FOR THIS!).

As I said we will work into smoother upgrade processes in future versions
and specially within the 2.x series.

> This process might not be automatic but it should at least be supported by
> OpenNebula project.

We are committed to this and will support the development of any tool to do
this automatically.

> For example, last OpenNebula release in Ubuntu was 1.2.x and since 2.0.1 is
> targeted at next Ubuntu stable release : how users are supposed to upgrade
> from this ancient release to the latest ?

I am glad that Ubuntu users can now get the latest OpenNebula software from
the repositories, and the fact that 1.4 did not make the repos makes things
even more difficult. OpenNebula 1.2 is so different from 2.x (even from 1.4)
that the automatic migration process is not easy.  We could think of this if
there are users still running 1.2 in production

Cheers

Ruben

--
Dr. Ruben Santiago Montero
Associate Professor (Profesor Titular), Complutense University of Madrid