[one-users] Windows* contextualization scripts?

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 02:08:06 PST 2011

Hello,

I also think that dhcp is the way to go with windows guests or images
that can not me modified to use contextualization data provided by
ONE. We have not included dhcp configuration scripts as we don't want
to marry with any specific external server and I suppose most of the
datacenters already have dhcp servers in place. Fortunately dhcp
configuration can be easily generated as last 4 bytes of mac addresses
generated for VMs match the IP assigned by OpenNebula. The howto on
how to configure a dhcp server [1] explains how to do this (I have to
check why is not linked in the current documentation version).

This configuration generation can be added as a hook script so the
needed configuration for a VM is added automatically to the dhcp
configuration file on VM creation. I have been tinkering with this
idea but put it on hold as I think that it can cause some problems on
a production environment with several VM's starting at the same time,
the scripts will be rewriting conf files and restarting dhcp server. I
think it is better to do this things for a whole VNET on its creation.

I hope this helps

[1] http://opennebula.org/documentation:archives:rel1.2:howto_net

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Stefan P <deubeulyou at gmail.com> wrote:

>> SP> Configuring the network on one given windows version is, I'd bet,
>> SP> as easy as it is to do on debian. So now you have two
>> SP> scripts... What about other distros, windows versions... OS X ?
>>
>> Not this difficult to solve. Mac OS X  is a BSD Unix, you have to find
>> where  to hook  your script.
>
> Ok, sure ! I'm not at all arguing that each case is complex :p
> I'm saying the complexity comes from having many cases to handle,
> and from the need to customize each different vm image, in the specific
> case where you have lots of them.
> Certainly from the open nebula project point of view, providing and
> documenting "known to work" contextualization scripts for all major
> guest platforms would be a fair amount of work.
> I'm not sure hacking together a dhcp server to onevnet would be much
> more work - and then we could tell users: use dhcp, unless you have
> specific needs, in which case use contextualization on your own.
> Stefan

Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher