[one-users] VM quotas and priorities?

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 11:59:05 PST 2011

I am not familiar with VMWare nomenclature but from what I see in
those documents reservation relates to the minimun cpu available for a
VM. That feature is directly related on how the hypervisor manages VMs
(hypervisor scheduler). Our xen drivers use the ammount of CPU you
specify (e.g. 0.5) to set credits in the xen credit scheduler [1]. We
use a fair share scheduling (weight), not capping the maximun cpu a VM
can consume. When VM's are competing to use CPU resoirces this values
are use to enforce fair share of available CPU. If there is no
overcommitment then that CPU value will set the minimun cpu a VM could
use.

I really could not understand the priority part but the document
linked mentioned IO prioritization. If that is the case it is not
supported out of the box but take into account that OpenNebula is
modular and easily modified extended. I think that IO throttling can
be accomplished adding ionice calls on VM creation.

[1] http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/CreditScheduler

--
Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher