[one-users] Writing one template that allows for persistent VM:

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Fri Feb 4 07:45:10 PST 2011

> When OpenNebula is installed, the images directory is set up with the sticky
> bit. From install.sh:
> chmod 3770 $DESTDIR$IMAGES_LOCATION
>
> In [1], it says
>

> "The IMAGE_REPOSITORY_PATH can be changed to another administrator defined
> folder. This folder will need to be created with special permissions to
> ensure its consistency. It will need full permissions for writting new files
> for any user, and:
>
> * the sticky bit, so other users are allowed to read other user files, but
> aren't allowed to erase them
> * the setgid, so all the files copied to the image repository end up with
> oneadmin group
>
> This can be achieved with ?chmod 3770 /path/to/image/repository/?."
>

> If you changed the images path, or if for some reason you deleted the var
> directory, you'll need to recreate the sticky bit configuration.
> In order to let other users register images, you have to either let anyone
> write in the images path, or add all your OpenNebula regular users to
> oneadmin's group.
>
> Could you please check your configuration? If you continue having troubles,
> please send us your installation directory permissions.

We did change the images path. I added the 3770 permissions to this path
and now oneadmin can launch my private persistent image and different
users can launch public images.

>> Next step--to make a public non-persistent generic image
>> in the repo, and then have a "clone" function such that
>> a user can make a non-public persistent image from it and
>> fork off their VM and save it from there on.  Anyone else interested?
>>

> What's your goal? to control it somehow in the VM template, or rather create
> a new command such as:
> oneimage clone "Original_public_image" "My_private_copy" ?

It would be nice to have a "oneimage clone" feature.  that way
the user is not forced to make one template for the first time
to read from the public copy and save to his private copy.

Steve Timm