[one-users] does oned check which is the proper host for new VM?

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Dec 15 08:02:06 PST 2011

Hi

Yes OpenNebula check the capacity of the host and the VM. Maybe there
is a misconfiguration in your host or monitoring system. Could you
send the output of onevm show  and onehost show of the relevant VMs
and host?

Also, OpenNebula can use several heuristics for VM placement. Take a
look at the following page to find out how to configure it:

http://www.opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.0:schg

Cheers

Ruben

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM, davood ghatreh <davood.gh2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 4 host servers, and opennebula installed and configured. whenever I
> create a VM it choose host2, regardless of how much this server remained
> resources are. for example, I created 10 vms (not simultaneously) and they
> were all created on host2! If I create other vms, they will be also created
> on host2! other servers have no load and no vms and they are all enabled in
> opennebula. how can I make oned to properly decide which host has enough
> resources to create new vm on it.
> Another issue is, oned doesn't check VM required resources and compare it to
> host resources to chose proper host. host2 has 2G of RAM and host4 has 4G
> RAM. I tried to create a vm with 4G RAM. opennebula choose host2, as always.
> Then after PROLOG states, it was unable to start the VM because there were
> not enough resources for this VM on host2. I disabled other hosts in
> opennebula and just left host4 enabled and resubmit the vm. it successfully
> created on host4! so, what does really opennebula do about choosing proper
> host for new VM? have I missed something or it is really a problem with
> opennebula?
>
> Thanks all

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect
OpenNebula - The Open Source Toolkit for Data Center Virtualization