[one-users] does oned check which is the proper host for new VM?

davood ghatreh davood.gh2000 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 06:11:51 PST 2011

Hi,

I have 4 host servers, and opennebula installed and configured. whenever I
create a VM it choose host2, regardless of how much this server remained
resources are. for example, I created 10 vms (not simultaneously) and they
were all created on host2! If I create other vms, they will be also created
on host2! other servers have no load and no vms and they are all enabled in
opennebula. how can I make oned to properly decide which host has enough
resources to create new vm on it.
Another issue is, oned doesn't check VM required resources and compare it
to host resources to chose proper host. host2 has 2G of RAM and host4 has
4G RAM. I tried to create a vm with 4G RAM. opennebula choose host2, as
always. Then after PROLOG states, it was unable to start the VM because
there were not enough resources for this VM on host2. I disabled other
hosts in opennebula and just left host4 enabled and resubmit the vm. it
successfully created on host4! so, what does really opennebula do about
choosing proper host for new VM? have I missed something or it is really a
problem with opennebula?

Thanks all