[one-users] Host-Based VLAN

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Sun Dec 4 13:04:39 PST 2011

Hi Hutson,

This is functionality is now being "up-ported" from OpenNebula core to the
cloud APIs. The approach will be similar to that used for VM templates. The
site admins will provide a base template for the site and vlan drivers. And
the user will only deal with IP ranges...

Cheers and thanks for your great feedback!

Ruben

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Hutson Betts <hut101 at tamu.edu> wrote:

> I have a question regarding virtual networking by VLAN tagging using
> OpenNebula's OCCI server.
>
> Under the current OCCI implementation, and documentation, you specify
> the bridge on which all vnets will be attached. This is accomplished by
> configuring the following option:
>
> # Configuration for OpenNebula's Virtual Networks
> #:bridge: NAME_OF_DEFAULT_BRIDGE
>
> This bridge is then associated with a physical network interface
> manually, as seen in the bridge.png.
>
> Unfortunately this configuration limits network isolation to isolation
> enforced by ebtables.
>
> I would like to leverage VLAN tagging to isolate virtual networks from
> one another across my virtual machine hosts using OCCI as seen in
> vlan.png.
>
> There is an example given on the "Host-managed VLANs 3.0" configuration
> page for managing VLAN tagging using VNET templates. In the given
> example, you specify the physical network interface on which the VLAN
> tagged virtual interface will be attached, and subsequently, the bridge
> on which the vnet is attached.
>
> However, there is no documentation containing instructions on how to
> specify a physical network interface for OCCI.
>
> How can OCCI be modified so that virtual machine created using the OCCI
> interface as given virtual network interfaces attached to a physical
> network interface?
>

> --
> Hutson Betts
> Computer Science and Engineering