[one-users] Having troubles creating qcow2 datablocks using oneimage

Jhon Masschelein Jhon.Masschelein at Sara.Nl
Tue Dec 13 06:43:19 PST 2011

Hi,

I am having troubles creating qcow2 datablocks using oneimage.

According to http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.0:img_template the
oneimage template can contain a DRIVER parameter (optional) that can be
KVM: raw, qcow2.

I created a template (borrowed from the web page):

NAME          = "Experiment results"
TYPE          = DATABLOCK
# No PATH set, this image will start as a new empty disk
SIZE          = 204800
FSTYPE        = ext3
PUBLIC        = NO
DESCRIPTION   = "Storage for my Thesis experiments."
DRIVER        = qcow2

where I added the DRIVER line.

Creating the image using oneimage create image.txt does however not
create a qcow image:
  ls -hl /var/lib/one/images/c0dc71ebe6562d4e8c9e186b249bff13
-rw-rw---- 1 oneadmin oneadmin 201G Dec 13 15:15
/var/lib/one/images/c0dc71ebe6562d4e8c9e186b249bff13
file /var/lib/one/images/c0dc71ebe6562d4e8c9e186b249bff13
/var/lib/one/images/c0dc71ebe6562d4e8c9e186b249bff13: Linux rev 1.0 ext3
filesystem data (large files)

Looking at the source, I thinkg I found where the image gets created
(please correct me if I am wrong here):
/src/image_mad/remotes/fs/mkfs

In this script, the image is allways created using dd. There is no check
for the driver and no qemu-img possibility.

It looks like oneimage can only create raw datablocks which is a pitty.
We realy would like to use the small qcow2 format.

Now I do not mind adding the functionality myself if it is not available
at the moment, I just want to be sure I am not duplicating work. :)

I am aware I can use the qemu-img command myself to create those
datablocks, but I would like the sunstone interface to be able to create
them automatically, so I need a oneimage template that makes this work.

Best regards,

Jhon