[one-users] A question about the utilization of VMs

Adnan Pasic pqado at yahoo.de
Sun Dec 4 09:18:46 PST 2011

Hello Fabian,

thank you very much for your answer.

I can't really tell you what lookbusy does, as it's not a programme coded by
me, but found on the internet to fulfill its duties ;)

Also, the website where I downloaded it from doesn't say anything on how the
programme is really working, and if it's possible to somehow upgrade it with
for the purpose of, e.g. filling zeros.

All in all, this issue is getting way out of hand. All I really need is a
programme that let's me utilize my memory to the extent I decide (e.g. 10%,
50%, 100% of memory) and does that for real, and not like the "lookbusy"
programme I am currently using.

As I said, lookbusy in fact does its work, it utilizes the VM, and the
utilization keeps on running, only the used memory shrinks down over time.
But still, after killing the process the memory gets freed totally, so a
kill of the process really does the job (to answer your question).

I wouldn't even consider deactivating KSM, or using ballooning if that
programme would work as expected. Until now, the measurements of the power
consumption were processed pretty good. The only thing is that those
measurements always went for only a minute, which is the amount of time,
BEFORE the reduction of the used memory begins.

So, do you maybe know a programme, or could tell me what to do in my case?
This is becoming frustrating, as I'm almost finished with my thesis and need
only a couple more measurements!!!

Thanks in advance, to all of you!

Regards, Adnan