[one-users] tune 'onevm saveas' behavior for OpenVZ

Tino Vazquez tinova at opennebula.org
Tue Aug 23 04:58:29 PDT 2011

Dear Nikolay,

comments inline,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:15 PM,  <knawnd at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> whole directory). If you did not tackle this, maybe we can leave it
>> for 2.2 as it is now (that is, not supporting the image catalog, how
>> do you specify the disks now?
>
>> do you set the path in DISK=[SOURCE=""]
>> and then treat it from a custom made transfer manager?). What do you
>> think?
> right now I am registering OpenVZ OS template in ONE image repository
> e.g.
> $ cat centos-5.x86.one.img
> NAME          = "centos-5-x86"
> PATH          = "/srv/cloud/one/one-2.1.8/var/images/centos-5-x86.tar.gz"
> PUBLIC        = YES
> DESCRIPTION   = "CentOS 5 x86 OpenVZ template"
>
>  and refer to it in VM description file by image name as
> DISK = [ IMAGE  = "centos-5-x86" ]
>
> There is a strong requirement: OS image name for OpenVZ VM has to be the
> same as OpenVZ template filename excluding extension (e.g. NAME is
> centos-5-x86 for OpenVZ OS template file centos-5-x86.tar.gz).
>
>> Regarding you question, the file to modify I think it would be
>> $ONE_LOCATION/lib/ruby/ImageRepository.rb, line 136. Now it is doing a
>> move, so it may work.
>> Did you try this? What error message do you get?
>
> No, I haven't tried it since it doesn't make a sense to try without tuning
> it as it was described above. Let me briefly explain.
> For the moment the implemented procedure for OpenVZ VM creation is the
> following:
> 1) a file with OS image mentioned in OpenNebula VM description file is
> transferred  to Cluster node (CN) in $VM_DIR/<VMID>/images dir with file
> name disk.0.
> 2) OpenVZ hypervisor expects all OS images file be placed in one dir defined
> in /etc/vz/vz.conf file. So there is no way to create VM by specifying a
> custom (e.g. absolute) path to OpenVZ OS image. All OpenVZ OS images must be
> in defined dir. The OS image can be chosen by its filename. For that purpose
> a $SCRIPTS_REMOTE_DIR/vmm/ovz/deploy script makes a symlink with a filename
> specified by user in NAME attribute of OpenNebula image description file to
> $VM_DIR/<VMID>/images/disk.0 in dir where OpenVZ hypervisor expects to find
> required OS image (by default it's is /vz/template/cache). So it looks like
> /vz/template/cache/centos-5-x86.tar.gz -> $VM_DIR/<VMID>/images/disk.0.
> 3) $VM_DIR/<VMID>/images/disk.0 file is used only to create new VM. During
> that procedure the content of that file is extracted to another predefined
> but configurable dir (by default it is /vz/private/<VMID>). When VM is
> running it uses the content of that dir and not $VM_DIR/<VMID>/images/disk.0
> file i.e. that file is not updated/modified by running VM but a files in
> /vz/private/<VMID> dir are.
> That's why it doesn't make a sense to try 'onevm saveas' command without
> modifying appropriate OpenNebula code/scripts since that command would save
> original  disk.0 file which exact copy is already registered in ONE Image

Ok, I get it now, so you need to package the copy directory rather
than the original.

>> Please get back with your plans for 2.2 and 3.0 and we will move on,
>> we can provide help with the ruby scripting.
>
> So for now I would like to make a 'onevm saveas' command work with OpenVZ
> VMs as well as if the SAVE sub-attribute is set to yes for OpenNebula 2.2.1.
> As far as I understand both these features trigger
> $ONE_LOCATOIN/share/hooks/image.rb script. So in order to achieve a desired
> behavior a command like 'tar -czf $VM_DIR/<VMID>/images/disk.0 -C
> /vz/private/<VMID>/ *' must be executed in the beginning of that hook
> (image.rb) what would replace the original disk.0 file. Is that correct?
> I would appreciate any help on that.

Yes, this seems like a good approach. Have you tried it out? It look fine to me.

Regards, and many thanks for the detailed emails (it does help a long
way in understanding the issue ;))

-Tino

--
Constantino Vázquez Blanco, MSc